So, the night before we went in I didn't sleep AT ALL! Nerves? Nope. Sophia decided she was going to cause me terrible pain in my back all night long. So I got maybe 2 hours of sleep. We got to the hospital at 5:30, got checked in, and they started my fluids and antibiotics. I laid in the bed, tired as could be. Charlie did some homework. My mom came up to the hospital around 7:30. Dr. Reeves came and broke my water around 8 and they started me on pitocin. I was 4-5cm, 80% effaced, and she was at a -2 station. The contractions started and weren't all that bad. The nurse checked me around 9:30 and I was at 6cm. By that time, the contractions were pretty darn intense, but not that terribly bad. I didn't want anyone talking to me or touching me, which is apparently odd for laboring women. I wasn't able/willing to talk through them unless I really had something to say. Charlie and my mom were doing the best coaching that they could seeing as I didn't want to be bothered.
Around 10 they came in saying she wasn't doing well. I was breathing way too fast so she wasn't getting the oxygen she needed. They put oxygen on me and stuck an internal monitor on Sophia's head and said I was 8 cm. So, I would be having a baby VERY soon. I, of course, didn't believe them. I was in massive amounts of pain and wanted the epidural. As I was begging for it- through the most pain I've ever been in- people are telling me how amazing I'm doing and that I'm literally three contractions from having her. By this time, I was moaning and making other noises- such as saying, "this fricken hurts!!, oh my gosh!"- along with squeezing the bed frame rather intensely. All of a sudden, I felt like I HAD to push. That was one of the joys of not having an epidural- I knew when I needed to push. I could barely keep myself from pushing. I knew I couldn't though if I wasn't a full 10cm cause I could swell my cervix and be stuck in labor even longer.
As that contraction ended I opened my eyes- I had them closed cause the oxygen mask sits so high up and I hurt so much- and saw that the room was full of people! Apparently, I had gone to 10cm but didn't know cause I literally went deaf during contractions- I couldn't focus on anything but trying to breathe and let out my miserable noises. (My dad, Analynn and Alexis had come up to the hospital to see me before she came and to be there for right after she was born. They said they could hear my moans and groans in the hall. I definitely wasn't screaming by any means, just slightly voicing my discomfort.) I saw my OB and she was just smiling and said, "well it went much faster this time!" I smiled and agreed just in time for them to tell me I had to roll on my back and get my legs up. I couldn't let go of the bed as another contraction was coming. So, my mom and Charlie had to pull my legs up. I pushed and pushed as hard as I could.
Waiting for her head to pop out felt like forever! I just kept taking breaths and pushing and pushing. I think it took one and a half to get her head out and the other half to get her shoulders out. I pushed for barely 5 minutes. She came out, quiet as a mouse. She made one little peep. They clamped and Charlie cut her cord and they put her on my chest. It was so surreal. I had just experienced the most painful thing and now had this tiny little baby on me. She was all slimy and I loved it! Haha. I held her for a minute and then they took her to clean her and weigh her. She weighed 8lbs even and her apgars were 9 and 10. She went potty right away. I got to hold her again for a second before they went to the nursery. All the while Dr. Reeves was getting the placenta out and stitching me up. I had three tiny tears. Two that required only one stitch and the third needed like five. I must say, tiny tears are SO much better than one big one!
I got all cleaned up and Soph was back in my arms very fast. We got her on to nurse and she sucked away! Definitely not like her sister!! It was so nice having her be a good sucker. My dad, Analynn and Lu came in. Analynn does NOT like me being in a hospital bed. She gets really weird and won't come near me, but I did get a kiss :] It took her a minute to realize mommys tummy was gone and the baby really had come out. She had to see my tummy a few times to believe me. My dad went and got me a Cinnabon cinnamon roll and I downed it! It was so delicious. Everyone took turns holding Sophia while I ate. Analynn gave her sissy lots of hugs and kisses!
Charlie had to go up to work during that time to take some keys up. He grabbed some food while out and when he got back he shared with Analynn. Then Alexis put Analynn to sleep. Charlie took her and my mom and Lu went to grab lunch. I planned on just eating my plate from the hospital, but they brought fried chicken, fried okra, and sweet tea. So, my mom and Lu brought me a sandwich from McAllisters. We hung out in the room for a while because they were discharging a lot of women from postpartum and had to wait for a room. We got a postpartum room after a few hours and everyone stayed and hung out for a bit. After they left, Charlie, Soph, and I took a nap. Charlie left around 7 to go home and put Analynn to bed. My parents came up when he left to watch Soph so I could shower. They left around 9, I nursed Soph, and the nursery took her. I had no intention of sleeping without her, but she had swallowed amniotic fluid and kept choking. Not a huge deal, but she preferred to choke quietly and I didn't wanna risk her choking and dying- obviously. The nursery bought her in to nurse every 2 hours and I kept her for close to 2 hours every time.
The next morning was very hectic! My OB came, and said I was good to go (I had asked to leave the hospital as soon as I could.) We had to wait to ask the pediatrician if we could leave early, though. Luckily, the pediatrician said we could since I was fine with the whole choking thing- it had gotten better. I ate breakfast and started getting ready when they came in to do all my discharge stuff. Then, the newborn photographers came in to do Soph's pictures. She was less than pleased to do a photo shoot. But, we got though it. My friend Kristen came to visit and we left right after she did! It was SO different driving home this time. I didn't freak out over every bump in the road, or whisper to Charlie in the front. She is definitely #2 ;]
And now for an OVERLOAD of pictures!!
My last tummy picture
Gotta love the double chin you get when you look down :\
BUT, this was the most precious moment! I didn't get to hold Analynn all goopy.
Analynn fell instantly in love!
Just like her sissy, she looked like she had just gotten in a fist fight.
Proud Grandpa! He was so happy to get to be here this time!
Cinnabon kisses for sissy :]
The face of pure joy!!
She got the cutest big sister pin.
I love this picture!
Just a few hours old, and already giving mommy the stink face!
This picture sucks, but she has red hair!
Her hair looks red here!
This is the face she made when I was giving her kisses. She loves me.
I am slightly obsessed with her hair...
The drive home!
Sophia Jane Todd
March 20, 2014
8 pounds
20 inches
I never thought I could love another child this much. I was so very wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment