Friday, August 3, 2012

Our birth story

Anastasia Lynn Todd
7/29/12
10:25
7lbs 5oz
19 1/2 inches

Turns out it's harder bringing a newborn home than you'd think... or at least than I thought...
Good thing she's so stinkin cute!

So I had been leaking fluids since Monday July 23, but figured I was either peeing on myself(it happens) or it was excess discharge... Well my mom finally convinced me to call the OB office on Sunday July 29 cause it was getting worse- more often. They, of course, said to go to the hospital. We got ready and packed the car up even though I didn't think it was really gonna happen. We got checked in and the nurse even said she didn't think it was fluids, just discharge. Well, it was fluids. They started me on Pitocin to get her out ASAP. I got anti-biotics as well due to the increased risk for infection since my bag had been torn for over a week it appeared. I didn't progress much after about a hour so the OB broke my bag. With in a hour the contractions were back to back with about 5 seconds in between them- if that. It hurt, BAD. I got some Demerol hoping that would help, but it didn't. So I wimped out and got the epidural. I really had my heart set on an all natural birth. I have never heard of a woman doing it all natural with Pitocin though, so I don't feel too terrible about my decision. Life was really grand after I got it. My mom, Charlie and I just sat and chatted. My mom went and got us food. I wanted Backyard burgers waiting for me! I progressed pretty quickly. I got to 9cm though, and got a little stuck. I just had a "little lip" left, but it took forever to go away!

I look terrible, but whatever...

Well, 9:50 rolled around they had me push to see where her head was and we saw hair! They had the OB come in- he took his sweet time. So at 10:10 I started pushing for real. They brought the mirror in so I could see it all happen. I ended up having to have an episiotomy too :[ I wasn't stretching enough even with the OB trying his best. She was stressed and having lots of decels. So he snipped me. She popped right on out after that at 10:25. The ten seconds until she cried felt like FOREVER! Charlie even asked why she wasn't crying yet. I wanted to cry really bad I was so happy, but I couldn't cause then I knew I wouldn't be able to see her. They brought her up to see me for a second and then over to the warmer to check her out. She got 9 and 9 on her APGAR score! :] They stitched me up and got the placenta out. But oh my gosh- they mashed on my tummy so hard. I am still sore. It feels like I have internal bruising. And I'm definitely sore "down there"... Stitches are not something you want in that area. Definitely worth it to have her safe and healthy though.

A few pictures: WARNING- there is plenty of naked baby bum in this post!!

Getting to hold her for the first time.





She's definitely gotten cuter since then... ;] Yet, she still loves to make that very disgruntled old man face.


Holding onto daddy's pinky!






They gave her to me and I tried to breastfeed, but she wasn't interested. We cuddled for a bit and then they took her to the nursery. Charlie went with her and my mom stayed with me. I was super nauseated! I tried to eat some ice chips and stay calm. After about 45 minutes I was still miserable, but realized I wanted my baby back. Alexis was up at the hospital at that point so she went and got Charlie. They brought me Analynn back and we all went to the recovery room. After we all got settled in my mom and Lu went home- around 1:30. Charlie and I finally went to bed around 2:30. Needless to say we didn't sleep much. I slept less than him. I wanted her next to me, but the staff kept telling me to not sleep with her in my bed. Ugh. Too bad she wouldn't sleep in the bassinet. She sleeps in our bed, right next to me all night here at home and it is wonderful!!! I get to nurse laying down and I sleep through a lot of it. Sleeping in the hospital was terrible. Breastfeeding was another story. A woman's milk doesn't come in for a few days, so getting a newborn to even try to eat is hard. She tried really hard, but was and sometimes still is more interesting in sleeping.

Pictures from Lu:


Love that double chin! 




We came home Tuesday around noon. The drive home was the most intense, scary time in my life! Charlie said he felt more stressed than he ever did in Iraq. It was very nerve wracking, for sure. Getting to come home was such a relief! We are slowly settling in to life as a family.

Oh my gosh- I look really tired!!



I love comparing her to her sonogram pictures :]

Her hair definitely has some curl!




We just LOVE that little nose!! 

Wednesday we just sat around- I cried, she cried- we managed. I am so grateful to have my mom around. Charlie is AMAZING at supporting me and doing everything he can, but he isn't a woman. He never will or can know what I am going through. I don't know if I could have made it through the last few days without my moms help. She has gotten me through this breastfeeding thing! Analynn is the laziest baby just about ever. So that and not having milk yet made nursing very hard. She loves to be basically dead to the world. She will just sleep though anything- even getting her nude! It's ridiculous. My milk finally came in Thursday- right on time, but boy did it suck not having it. I got crazy engorged and had to pump, use warm and cold compresses. At her well baby check up the nurse gave me a nipple shield and that has helped wonders! It just gives Analynn more to hold onto, so she doesn't have to work as hard to get milk. We'll get rid of it in a few days once she really gets the hang of nursing. But for now we must use it. She was born 7lbs 5 oz and was 6lbs 5oz at her check up. Her biliruben was 15.9 as well :[ We went back today and she gained a whole ounce!! 6lbs 6oz!! Woo hoo! That shield really is a life saver. Her biliruben went up too however to 16.2 so we have to keep her in the sun and go back on Sunday to have her checked again. Poor thing hates having her heel stuck. We just really need her to poop! She came out pooping like crazy and pooped Tuesday morning. Her poor little tummy just gurgles like crazy and she toots lots. Hopefully she goes soon!

Postpartum feelings wise I am doing much better. I was weepy at first due to sleep deprivation and hormones. Then it went into feeling like I wasn't doing my job of feeding her cause she would NOT eat. She went 14 hours (from Wednesday night to Thursday morning) without eating. Not acceptable. Now I only get weepy if she just will not calm down- which is rare cause she's eating finally. Or if I'm just really stressed out. Charlie and my mom just keep reminding me how well I'm doing, how good of a mommy I am, and how much Analynn loves me. It sure helps!

Charlie loves to cuddle with her and takes her and walks around when I get stressed from her crying. He isn't the best at night though... he can pass out pretty hard and I don't always trust that he'll stay awake. So I have definitely lost more sleep than him. It's ok though. I've spent quite a few hours trying to sleep in the rocking chair- very uncomfortable! But like I said I can now sleep and nurse and life is definitely looking up!

We did her first bath today after my mom and Lu came over and helped me clean. Suzanne and Charley are coming tomorrow to meet Analynn :] So we wanted a clean house and a clean baby. She had dried milk all over her. She was one sticky little girl. She didn't exactly appreciate her bath.

She started off ok... just finished eating...

Look at that disgruntled little face! 



Holding onto daddy's finger :] 



Then things got rough... 









Back in daddy's arms :] 

She's still alive. Not happy, but alive ;]

After the bath I laid down in the sun with her and fed her again. Then Charlie took her outside and they hung out in the sun for a while so I could work on this. He was just cuddling with her and now she is about to wake up. My mommy duties of feeding her are calling! I'll do my best to keep up with blogging :]


The little booger got her arm out and up through her neck hole! 


So tiny. 

Using my finger to calm down on the ride to the doctor. I love how she held on :]



No comments:

Post a Comment